Lemongrass is a low-growing plant native to tropical and subtropical regions of Asia, Africa, and Oceania. Lemongrass is a tropical grass with a lemon-like fragrance. It is used extensively in Asian cuisine, as well as in herbal teas and other beverages.
Lemongrass is also known scientifically as Cymbopogon Citratus. The fresh and dried leaves and the essential oils of Lemongrass are used in traditional medicine for various purposes.
Lemongrass has a strong citrus flavour and aroma and is used to add flavour to food and drinks. It is also used in traditional medicine to treat a variety of conditions.
How is Lemongrass beneficial for health?
Lemongrass is a popular herb in many cuisines, especially in Asian cooking. But this fragrant grass is more than just a flavouring agent. It has numerous implicit health benefits, including:
- Boosting digestion and the immune system
- Relieving symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Promoting healthy skin and hair
- Protecting against certain types of cancer
- Lowering and regulating cholesterol levels and blood sugar levels
- Reducing pain and inflammation
- Promoting good sleep
Lemongrass is often used in natural medicine to help with digestive issues like nausea, bloating, and gas. It is also used as a diuretic to help promote urination and as an insect repellent. Lemongrass essential oil is also used in aromatherapy and massage therapy.
The Distinctive Properties of Lemongrass:
Lemongrass is a good source of Vitamins A and C and minerals like magnesium, calcium, and iron. It is also thought to have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties.
- The herb has been traditionally used to treat various ailments, including stomach ache, flatulence, and fever.
- It is also said to boost energy levels and promote better digestion.
- The leaves and stalks of Lemongrass are used in cooking and as a natural insecticide.
- Lemongrass is high in citral, a compound that gives lemons their characteristic flavour and smell.
These potential health benefits make Lemongrass a herb worth including in your diet. If you’re considering adding Lemongrass to your diet, NAF’s herbal tea is a delicious and easy way to reap all the benefits of this healthy ingredient. Give it a try today!